Simple Steps to Start Intermittent Fasting
Simple steps? Yeah sure! Everyone is looking for the very best way to start their intermittent fasting program right? Good news before you read on…there is no ONE right way.
One of the sheer beauties of IF, the freedom to find the protocol or schedule that works best for your daily routine, your lifestyle, your goals, etc.
Let’s be honest, to most, the word, “fasting” might sound intimidating. But don’t worry, when done right, with a plan, it’s actually a whole lot easier than you think. And the best part, intermittent fasting provides “freedom” above all else. Who doesn’t want more of that?
Tips to Start Your Intermittent Fasting Lifestyle
- Have a plan in place. Don’t fly by the seat of your pants. Although IF is not some structured “diet”, a failure to plan will ultimately lead to failure in fasting too.
- Start with a single day in mind. Let’s be honest, you don’t know if intermittent fasting is even for you yet, so instead of worrying about weeks or months, how about getting one day in the books.
- Set your mind right. As with anything in life, how you think determines how well and what you do. If you go into your fasting thinking it will be hard to do, guess what it will be…hard to do. Think about what you can have, when you can eat, instead of what and when you can’t. What you choose to focus on makes all the difference in the world.
- Don’t worry about planning “meals” to start! Focus on when you can eat instead of what you can eat. Over time, you can begin to clean up your food choices if needed.
- Drink, drink, drink….water. Lots of water! Not only is most of society walking around in a semi-dehydrated state as it is, but water can work wonders during fasting, providing some satiety.
- Seek progress, not perfection in your food choices. Enjoy that ham sandwich or some pizza if you’d like from time to time. There is no doubt, fasting, along with any nutritional suggestions, works best when food choices are clean. Heck, even every fast-food chain even has acceptable options these days.
- Make use of BCAAs (branched-chain amino acids) during your fasted state. These bad boys make a world of difference. For example, 5-10g (depending on bodyweight) every couple of hours after waking, until your first feeding, will make you forget you haven’t actually eaten. Not to mention all the “other” benefits of BCAAs.
- Take time off. Don’t go into your intermittent fasting program thinking you have to be “on” every single day, thus not able to enjoy a family breakfast or late night out. Again, one day at a time.
- Pay attention to your body and mind. Adjust your fasting and eating windows to what works best for YOU.
- Talk to the doc. This should go without saying, but we will say it anyway. Anytime you make changes to your fitness or nutrition regiment, you should check with your medical provider, especially if you have a medical condition.
Obviously, these are merely a few tips to get started on an intermittent fasting program. These ideas don’t sound too hard to implement right?
Much different from planning out 6-8 meals and snacks per day, finding time to eat at work, having something available at all times, etc no?
Why Do You Want to Start Intermittent Fasting
So, with some thoughts in place to get you going, there is one more thing we strongly suggest you contemplate before you hit the ground running. Your why?
Nope, we aren’t going to get all cheesy and psychological here, but it is important, with any goal you set, that you have an idea as to why you are working towards it. No different here.
Are you searching for weight loss? A boost in energy levels? Less bloating? Better health and wellness? To increase longevity and provide for healthier aging? An increase in performance? Simply more nutritional convenience?
Whatever your reason is, just think it through, and remind yourself consistently. You are human. You will have moments. You need to know what it is that is most important to you, in order to overcome these temporary hurdles.
If you even remotely enjoyed this read, or have the slightest interest in learning more about intermittent fasting, be sure to check out the additional articles here on our blog, as well as, the much more to come.
You only have one life to live, one body to live it in…so take care of it. Progress, not perfection. Good, better, best with your food intake and some form of “movement” daily. Get your nutritional foundation from food, supplement where necessary, and drink plenty of water. We are here to help, so feel free to drop us comments or questions as often as you’d like…and always consult your physician before making any changes to your diet or exercise regiment.
Live a 3D life…Decisions Determine Destinations!